IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are you a Brit living abroad but missing the UK and thinking about coming home?
amyrobbins
post Oct 11 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Demo Users
Member No.: 10039

I'm researching for an ITV documentary which is looking at British Expats who are thinking about returning home. It's a straightforward, feel-good programme, simply investigating the dilemma that many expats face, and will hopefully be of help to anyone who is considering coming back to the UK.

I'm really keen to hear from Brits who have lived abroad for a number of years and had minimal contact with the UK, but for one reason or another are weighing up whether to come back.

We would give you the opportunity to discover what life would be like in the UK for you now, and help equip you for making the decision - to stay abroad or come home.

Please do get in touch if this sounds like you. I'd also be very grateful if you might pass this email on to anyone you know who could be interested.

Many thanks for any help.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
krismo
post Oct 17 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3020

We are in a process of moving to Belgium from Sweden, having left UK 5 years ago. But we would like to move back to England in the 2 -3 years if we can afford the prices.

+Quote Post
johnnodouglas
post Oct 18 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10069

Hello there,
You may be interested in the story of my sister Gwyneth who after several decades living in Australia having been brought to Australia by my Mum and Dad in 1962, decided to return to Wales where she was born and to live there. She has been there for about 5 years now and is very happy.
Can supply more information if you are further interested.

John Rogers
johnnodouglas@yahoo.com

QUOTE(amyrobbins @ Oct 11 2006, 03:26 PM) *

I'm researching for an ITV documentary which is looking at British Expats who are thinking about returning home. It's a straightforward, feel-good programme, simply investigating the dilemma that many expats face, and will hopefully be of help to anyone who is considering coming back to the UK.

I'm really keen to hear from Brits who have lived abroad for a number of years and had minimal contact with the UK, but for one reason or another are weighing up whether to come back.

We would give you the opportunity to discover what life would be like in the UK for you now, and help equip you for making the decision - to stay abroad or come home.

Please do get in touch if this sounds like you. I'd also be very grateful if you might pass this email on to anyone you know who could be interested.

+Quote Post
TasDevil
post Oct 18 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8646

Hi, I came to Australia on my own in 1951 at the age of 16. As my mother was a widow, ( due to the war) she was not classified as the, 'Breadwinner' so I had to come out on my own, under a slave labour scheme.!!! Anyway I joined the Australian Army in 1953 and spent 15 years in the service. Went quite a few parts of the world with the army, but never ever felt homesick.
I came to Tasmania in 1975 with my family and walked into a park one day with my son, then 12 years old, and I just burst into tears. It was a combination of the English trees and daisies on the lawn that did it. Don't get daisies on the mainland. From that moment I had a nagging in the back of my brain that kept telling me I had to go home. For various reasons I didn't get back until 2003, 53 years after leaving. !!
I love England, or I should say Devon, that's where I come from and would love to come back to spend my last days, but I'm afraid I would not be able to live as it is too expensive. As I only worked in England for a year I am not entitled to an English pension, and get a Returned Servicemans pension here in Australia,and have a Gold Card which covers me for ALL medical expenses. Anyway that's just a bit of my story, hope it suits what you are looking for. Take care.

Mick Adams

+Quote Post
deojays
post Nov 4 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8946

Hi
I am a Brit, married to an American. Moved from the UK to New Jersey in 2003 with my 2 British teenagers. I am interested to know when/if the tv programme airs as I would love to see it! It may give me some useful info........I may want to come back one day as I miss lots of things sad.gif
Thanks
Erica

email : deojays@comcast.net

+Quote Post
stirling
post Nov 29 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #6

Group: Payed Members
Member No.: 10189

QUOTE(deojays @ Nov 4 2006, 11:43 PM) *

Hi
I am a Brit, married to an American. Moved from the UK to New Jersey in 2003 with my 2 British teenagers. I am interested to know when/if the tv programme airs as I would love to see it! It may give me some useful info........I may want to come back one day as I miss lots of things sad.gif
Thanks
Erica

email : deojays@comcast.net

We are a family of four Brits now leaving America for the second time the last time was 10 years ago when we swore we would never return(but we did).Now we are moving to the South of France I've just noticed your post was made in 2006 so I won't enlarge on our experiences.

Regards Stirling

+Quote Post
deojays
post Nov 29 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8946

To "stirling"

Email me at deojays@comcast.net

I would love to hear your story!!!

Erica

+Quote Post
FMadge
post Jan 30 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15843

i am not british missing home
but i sure want to visit Britain,
my great grandparents were from there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 04:25 AM