Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nazareth House, Cape Town, Ex-pupils
Munchkin
post Jan 6 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Demo Users
Member No.: 5997

Hi,

I am trying to locate any ex-pupils who were in Nazareth House, Cape Town during 1940's - 1960's. I am very keen to hear from anyone who was there at ANY time. Most would now be grandparents like myself and I am hoping that there are a few who will see this message and, if anyone reading it knows of anyone who was there, please pass on the message for them to contact me.

Living in hope.

Munchkin.
dry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hannah
post Jan 13 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9166

QUOTE(Munchkin @ Jan 6 2005, 04:03 AM)
Hi,

I am trying to locate any ex-pupils who were in Nazareth House, Cape Town during 1940's - 1960's.  I am very keen to hear from anyone who was there at ANY time.  Most would now be grandparents like myself and I am hoping that there are a few who will see this message and, if anyone reading it knows of anyone who was there, please pass on the message for them to contact me. 

Living in hope.

Munchkin.
dry.gif

+Quote Post
Hannah
post Jan 13 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Hannah @ Jan 13 2006, 12:55 PM)

I just read your email . I had a aunt who was a nun there on dates quoted. I can not remember her given name But her own name was Maggie Duncan and she came from Ireland. Regards Nora Boyce

+Quote Post
Munchkin
post May 19 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Hannah @ Jan 13 2006, 12:59 PM) *

I just read your email . I had a aunt who was a nun there on dates quoted. I can not remember her given name But her own name was Maggie Duncan and she came from Ireland. Regards Nora Boyce

Hello Hannah,

Thanks for your reply. Most of the nuns were Irish and I would dearly love to know which one she was. What a pity you don't know her "religious" name. I think it would be interesting to try and find out but don't know how to go about it and doubt that they would tell us. Confidentiality and all that stuff.

Wow - I am quite intrigued now.

Thanks very much and if you do find out, please let me know.

Regards
Munchkin

+Quote Post
noel
post May 22 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2511

Dear Munchin.
I know a couple of women that went to school in Cape Town,
I am not sure where Nazareth House is.
Shyould it be in town I dont think they went there, one wenr to a school in Stellenbosch, the other I am not sure.
Noel

+Quote Post
Munchkin
post May 23 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(noel @ May 22 2006, 04:20 PM) *

Dear Munchin.
I know a couple of women that went to school in Cape Town,
I am not sure where Nazareth House is.
Shyould it be in town I dont think they went there, one wenr to a school in Stellenbosch, the other I am not sure.
Noel

+Quote Post
Hannah
post May 30 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Munchkin @ May 19 2006, 01:39 AM) *

Hello Hannah,

Thanks for your reply. Most of the nuns were Irish and I would dearly love to know which one she was. What a pity you don't know her "religious" name. I think it would be interesting to try and find out but don't know how to go about it and doubt that they would tell us. Confidentiality and all that stuff.

Regards
Munchkin

Hi Munchin. Since I last contacted you I have been in contact with the Nazareth House in Capetown . A sister Illtyd she was a nun with my aunt, has given me a lot of information, my aunts reigious name was Sister St. Robert. she looked after they boyes.She arrived in Capetown March1944 an Died June 1981. It would be nice if you know anything about her as we never knew her , she only ever made one visit to Ireland in her life time in Capetown. Please do keep in contact. Hannah.

QUOTE(Munchkin @ May 19 2006, 01:39 AM) *

Hello Hannah,

Regards
Munchkin

Hi Munchin. Since I last contacted you I have been in contact with the Nazareth House in Capetown . A sister Illtyd she was a nun with my aunt, has given me a lot of information, my aunts religious name was Sister St. Robert. she looked after they boyes.She arrived in Capetown March1944 an Died June 1981. It would be nice if you know anything about her as we never knew her , she only ever made one visit to Ireland in her life time in Capetown. Please do keep in contact. Hannah.

+Quote Post
Munchkin
post Jun 5 2006, 05:19 AM
Post #8

Hello Hannah,

Isn't that strange - I was trying to think of a nun who fitted the name Maggie Duncan and the only one I came up with was Sr. St Robert - we all called her Sr. Roberts. She looked after the boys - yes. She was one of THE nicest nuns too. Us girls didn't have much to do with the boys' nuns but my eldest brother was one of her favourites. Everybody loved her, that much I can tell you. I used to make excuses to go over to the boys' side just so I could chat with her sometimes. I adored her. I even asked her to please come over to the girls side because she was such a lovely nun. LOL - it didn't happen sad.gif

I will let you know if I ever come across a photo but I am having trouble trying to find any of the kids I went to school with. Someone out there usually has a photo or two.

So, yes, Hannah, she was well loved - can't say the same for many of the other nuns though, so that should make you feel good knowing she was a lovely person..

Hugs
Munchkin biggrin.gif

Hello Noel

Thank you for replying to my post. The convent was called Nazareth House and it was in Cape Town.

Thanks anyway, but if you do ever hear of anyone from there please do let me know.

Hugs
Munchkin biggrin.gif

P.S. Sorry that I took so long to answer yours and Hannah's post but I could not figure out how to reply LOL. I finally did it.

+Quote Post
Tessa
post Feb 19 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16048

Hi Munchkin, I know my answer is 7 years later than when you posted your request, but the internet does not forget! while doing a search for Cape Town 1940's to 1960's your info re Nazareth House 'inmates' came up. I was at Nazareth House from 1954 to 1961 - 7 years of hard labour. I read a reply about Sister Roberts, and I remember her clearly, she wore dark rimmed glasses, with a chubby face in charge of the boys. Who did you know there and what years were you there? I am now in my 60's and my memories are crystal clear about those days. Sister Felicity, Sister Theresa (who wanted me to be a nun, but I escaped before that happened) I was 3 went I went there. Nazareth House is in Derry Street in Vredehoek, I am busy writing a book about the place and my experiences there.
Please contact me back, I have lots of info about the place.
Nazareth House is now home to orphans and aids babies, it is heartbreaking. My granddaughter and eldest daughter went there on Christmas morning to give a donation in lieu of Christmas presents and had to wait in a queue to donate. They say it is very different now, more open and friendly, but in 1954 it was anything but. My experiences there were a bit Dickens like, so will not elaborate till further notice.

Some names I knew back then: Felicity Holiday, Margaret Begg, Lincoln Stander, The Uren brothers, Dawn Wallace. Ring any bells?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 05:25 AM